Our First Awareness Walk

If there is one thing I've learned about life, it's that it never gets any easier.  Our little zoo got a little smaller two weeks ago.  My little lab/griffon mix, Bella, got incredibly sick and passed away at the tender age of 3.  We don't know the exact cause and I can't tell you how much I miss her.

That girl could get into the most uncomfortable positions, and make them comfortable.

Another thing that I've learned about life, is that no matter how much you don't want it to sometimes, that it always goes on.  Yesterday was our very first Awareness walk for Down Syndrome.  God, I was scared.  I didn't know what to expect!!  It was a little disorganized, but I learned a few lessons...

Lesson #1.  I have one of the greatest friends in the entire world.  She has been there with me through everything - since Junior High School, and she didn't let me down here.  Her and her family made this walk so much easier, and I thank them.  They know who they are.

Lesson #2.  I'm still getting over the fear of people with disabilities.  I find that I can handle children just fine. In fact, I met a friend that I made on Facebook, and her little boy who also has Down Syndrome.  He was absolutely adorable, and I am so happy that I actually got to meet them face to face.  However, when I saw the teens/adults, I still got that "feeling" of being uncomfortable.  I don't quite know how to get past this, but I think that as time goes on, and I meet more and more people with disabilities that this fear will eventually resolve.

Lesson #3.  We are incredibly blessed.  I saw more than one child who looked to be fighting cancer.  I'm thankful that so far, Hunter has dodged most of the health bullets that can be associated with DS.  We will know more when Hunter turns nine months.  He has another eye exam, ear exam, and appointment with the cardiologist.  I pray for a clean bill of health!

Lesson #4.  The absolute variety of those with DS!!  I think that before I had Hunter, I thought that everyone with DS looked exactly the same.  That couldn't be further from the truth!!  Aside from having similar features - the eyes especially - those with DS are just as different as snowflakes!!  

Lesson #5.  I'm still terrified.  I wish I had a book that told Hunter's Story.  That way I could skip forward several chapters and see how things turn out.  I had been told that people with DS have a wide range of functionality.  Yesterday was absolute proof of that.  We overheard a conversation between one teenager with DS telling another family that he was going to college, and had just gotten a new car.  Then we turned the corner, and another teenager was being lead around by a rope.  If I could just have a tiny peek a few chapters forward....

Lesson #6.  I have a hell of a lot of lessons to learn on this journey, and we have only just begun!!  But I think the best lesson I have learned, is that when life hands me crap, there is a little smiling face who always makes me happy....and I love him just the way he is!!  And by the looks of that smile...I think he kind of loves me too!  


Love, Happiness and Pet Hair, 

Shannon

Comments

  1. Keep putting one foot in front of the other. You're doing just fine. From one mama of a boy with Ds to another.

    And I'm so sorry about your dog. We have a chocolate lab, too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sick of the Positive

Gone Fishing.

My Third Pregnancy